Day 59: 20th July, 2012 – Mostar to Port of Kotor, Montenegro


8.10 am: We are at the border of Bosnia and most probably Croatia. I am going to Kotor which is on the coast of Adriatic Sea in Montenegro country. In the morning when I came to the Bus station at 6.05 am and bought my ticket for about 57km, I did not realize that the bus will first go to Dubrovnik- a coastal town of Croatia, which means I have to cross multiple borders today.

A passport officer boarded the bus to check the passports. Mine was the only one which he took to the Passport control and came out after ten minutes with an exit stamp of Bosnia. It has been about 30 minutes and we have been sitting in the bus at this border. I got up at 5 am and got ready without taking shower. I am thinking of bathing after reaching the Kotor coast. I heard of this coastal town from hostellers, who just came back yesterday from this place. 

Now another Passport or Police officer has come and he is collecting all the Passports again. This may be the Croatian border check. There are another boy and girl travelling to Kotor who were staying at Miran’s hostel. Morning was cool and good.

My ticket is also in two parts. First one is up to Dubrovnik and other to Kotor. I do not know if the same bus will go or I’ll have to take different one. I am learning much geography of the region here. Finally the passports have come and conductor is distributing them.

Adriatic Sea coast can be seen now.In these seas, which are big lakes, are no waves or sand beaches.  Beaches are neat and clean and scenic also. There are solar heating panel on one house. It is fairly Mediterranean climate. Hills are not green but are rocky. Our bus has stopped for a coffee break. One can enjoy the distant view of the Adriatic Sea coast. And can smell the saline smell of the sea. 

11.20 pm: We reached Dubrovnik, a famous coastal town of Croatia. I can see very large ships probably Luxury cruise ships. We have to change our bus quickly and rush to the bathroom. I think we are running 1hour late than the printed time.

12.52 pm: We are at the Montenegro border after crossing the Croatia border. Passport is stamped without the number of days. As usual they were collected, stamped, and distributed. I was worried for not having visa for Montenegro but multiple schengen visa is very useful. Till yesterday, I’d planned to go to Serbia and take visa for Montenegro. But when I saw on website that Indians having schengen visa are given for 7 days, I changed my plan. This stamp does not carry any such condition. I am relaxed now. Bus has been moving around the coast. All along were houses, apartments, land for sale and hire. The water is calm. I was wrong with my perception of Adriatic Sea which is extending to Italy, Venice and further. Large Luxury cruise ships ply in the sea. We have finally reached the end of the sea coast and bus took a circular turn to come to other side of coast. Kotor was further 236  kms drive. 

We finally reached Kotor town and got down. Danish boy and girl also came with me to Old town hostel. There were a few old women standing at the station. They were showing photograph of their property and bed facility at 10Euro. Danish and I had phoned old town hostel and so we thought of going there. This is an old town with stone buildings, narrow lanes and quadrangles. There are 3 gates in stone wall around the town to enter. We entered from the main one and Danish boy could map the directions on his i phone.

The hostel is really nice in the renovated old building. Alex, the receptionist is very competent. He has given me a room on the 2nd floor. This is double bed separate room having a wardrobe and a table plus air conditioned. Entrance is from another room having 4 bunk beds. According to Alex they were full. My room is for 20 euro and dorms for 14 euro per night. I have booked it for 2 nights. Danish went to another property nearby. While coming back I saw 2 Sardar ji couples at different places. They might have come in one of the 2 luxury cruise ships anchored at the port. I came to know that these cruise boats sail in the Adriatic Sea and stopped at some towns for sight seeing. These two boats will again sail in midnight. I also met Indians working in the ship, twice. In fact a gentleman, Peter, who was from Goa, offered me a beer. There were some other passengers of the ship sitting with him .and he introduced me to all. 

I came to the room and rested for an hour. Then took shower and got ready to go. I had eaten cherry patty and was not hungry. When I came,  Alex introduced me to the owner of the hostel who had been to India for 2 months trip last year. He offered me a cup of Indian milk tea. He has tea bags of ‘Bagh Bakri Tea’. I have been drinking only black tea but I was pleased to drink this tea with some milk after long. We talked for a long time. He told me of war and how people were affected in this part of the world. I told him about my Peace and International Understanding Mission. I told him of hostelling also. We decided to talk on the topic of Montenegro tomorrow.
I walked out to a nearby market and bought some bread, salad and fruit. Then I walked to the other side. Sun was setting behind the hills. I clicked some pictures. I reached a super bazaar and bought some more food items. This will be sufficient for my dinner, breakfast and lunch for total cost of 7 Euro. In the restaurant just the dinner will cost 7 Euro. In the dormitory room there is a fully furnished kitchen. Tea and coffee is free all the time. There are 3 laptops at the reception for the hostellers use. I made good use of the kitchen and prepared my dinner. I had bought from the super market two different types of cooked vegetables, one with curry also. I enjoyed this dinner and took rest. It is 10 pm and I am planning to go to the reception. 

12.50 a.m: I made cup of tea with the sachet of Indian tea, a few of them are left. I  enjoed my drink before going to sleep. Receptionist has brought two torches, one for the laptop and other for the diary.  I write 1/3rd of 16th July diary on computer and will complete tomorrow.  On my return to Hostel in evening, I met Peter from Goa.  He was working in the ship.  There were some other passengers sitting with him.  It was nice of him.

I have found out that Montenegro is very popular with Russian tourist. Many Russians have purchased land, flats or apartments here. The temperature of the region is Mediterranean which is moderate. This small country is mostly made up of mountains and Adriatic Sea coast. Tourism is an important industry over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Stories of My Travel Diaries